Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Join the cause

I have a big problem. I am a night owl, and that's an understatement. I love staying up until 4 AM for no reason. I can do it any night of the week, but sometimes that happens when i don't want it to. Like Tuesdays. This has caused the death of many alarm clocks. When that little bastard starts chirping at 6:30 I just want to kill it. It forces me to develop a hatred of inanimate objects I normally do not have. Picture a caveman being awaken by a fire alarm and going nuts, strange grunts and looks of bewilderment included. That's a fairly accurate portrayal of my average morning. Everything in my path to shutting that annoying thing up will be destroyed. Headaches and grumpiness last until about 9, or my second cup of coffee at the office, whichever comes first. The first hour at work is always the toughest. All of those mornings people say "Hi, how you doing?, Good morning", etc. Do I respond honestly? No. Though I do reserve the right to not respond at all, or just stare at them like I don't speak English. Some people just know not to bother me until 9. After all, you cannot expect IT professionals to conduct business until caffeine levels have been raised significantly. It's worse when people call with stupid questions that early. I think I'm going to hang this on my office door.
OK, let me come to the point. If you are like me the playing field is hardy level during business hours. I spend 1/2 my time at work in a mild coma. Its not our fault we wake up after dark, we were just born that way. I'd like to open the argument of reversing the standard business hours every other week. Meaning next week we work from 8PM to 5AM. If nothing else it will put people in our position. When they feel like smacking you for being all upbeat and full of energy during that first hour of work you can just smile and laugh. Obviously the world is to set in their way to ever let an original idea like this ever come to the light of day, but wouldn't it be nice to get even- just once?

No comments:

Post a Comment